Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Marriage Date of Martha Jameson and Morgan Jones Dye

I am sorry that I have not been on the blog to write for the last week. I thought I might begin again today with a common incorrect date that is out there. Not only will I give you the date that I believe is correct I will also explain why the incorrect date cannot be correct.

To get into the story we must go back 140 years ago in Morgan County, Ohio. In 1861 most of the young men of Morgan County faced to choice to volunteer for their civic duty or ignore the situation their nation was currently in. Most chose to serve their nation within two main units that formed from the youth of the county. The two unit to form of Morgan County men in 1861 were the 62nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment and the 122nd O.V.I. Regiment.

Both units where filled with with members of our Jameson, Sears, Blackburn, and Dye families. The 62nd O.V.I. held all three...


The battle colors of the 62nd OVI Regiment

On November 8, 1861 Morgan Jones Dye was mustered into Company I, 62nd O.V.I
at McConnellsville, Morgan County, Ohio. He served in one of the most intense sequence of combat operations from 1862 to his discharge as a Corporal on November 13, 1864.

Now, according to two sources, Morgan Jones Dye and Martha Jameson were married Febuary 25, 1864. The sources are 1- https://www.familysearch.org/s/recordDetails/show?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fpilot.familysearch.org%2Frecords%2Ftrk%3A%2Ffsrs%2Frr_347523764%2Fp4&hash=HloWXpZgU9zB10k5M56iYku8TUc%253D and 2 - most likely from the same original source, Family Tree Maker CD #60134-236 (Ohio, 1851-1900 Marriage Index). Matching the dates, the only way these two could have been married on February 25, 1864 is if Morgan had come home on pass, leave, or liberty. Now, through fall into winter of 1864, the 62nd O.V.I. were involved in nearly constant action during the Petersburg campaign. There would have been almost certainly no time off given to troops to return home to Ohio during this time.

For what I believe to be the true date. It appears that Morgan Jones Dye and Martha Jameson were married before he ever enlisted . Accord to my only source on this date, Martha's death notice, they were married February 25, 1861. This was 9 months before Morgan left Morgan County for war.

Deaths From Area Newspapers 1907-1910 http://www.predinkle.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment